Aug 23, 2007

Game Store Warranty's

I am a fan of the Extra Life Radio podcast. I just got around to listening to show #148 and Scott Johnson brought up the topic of the optional 1 year warranty that most game stores offer for the Xbox 360. He said that they are a waste of money when Microsoft offers a free 3 year Warranty. But I have a little dispute with his opinion.


I got an Xbox 360 last May, I got my 6th 360 replacement a few weeks ago. Yes I have had 5 broken 360's and my 6th one is starting to have some over heating problems so I am not far from 360 #7.



If you figure that it usually takes 2-3 weeks to get a replacement from Microsoft, the best case scenario is, so far, 3 month's of not having the system that I already paid for. However thank God I did get the extra warranty from my local EB Games. Despite having 5 broken 360's (so far) I have not gone more than 1 day without it. When one breaks rather than waiting for Microsoft to send me the 360 coffin, then waiting for it to ship back to them, then waiting for them to repair it, then again waiting for it to get shipped back to me. Instead I walk into the store with my broken one, the clerk hands me a new one and I walk out with a new 360 in about 5 minutes. So was the extra $30 bucks worth it?


Of course this problem is not relevant to Nintendo systems because I have owned every Nintendo system since the SNES and the only one to ever break was my first SNES that was beaten on by 3 kids for about 5 or 6 years before it gave out. I also still have my original Game Boy which has been beaten to death for more years than I want to think about, but it sits in my closet  at this very moment still working as well as the day I got it, if you can see through all of the battle scars that mark it's screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment